View Single Post
Old 5 Feb 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2826079)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungebucket View Post
Can't remember details of the front suspension at the moment, but the old grey matter may still come up with something! I do recall more about the rear suspension though. I remember collecting the rear axles from Ford Cologne. The diff housings were aluminium and the axle tubes dural. The originals had the suspension pick up points welded in place, but these fractured near the welds. The ones we used had the pick up points clamped in place, a bit like overgrown SU throttle arms! The axles were so light that I could carrly two at a time. one in each hand. D
Welcome back Gunge. Get that grey matter exercised! Very interesting about the axle casings, as have always wondered how they got the Gp2 cars to weigh so little. A light axle would make a lot of difference- a thick tube steel one weighs a ton! Can you recollect if the hubs were fully floating like the rally ones or again lighter and simpler?

If the Wooding cars were in ETC then presumably you were building for endurance, so even though axles were very light must have been strong as well?