View Single Post
Old 19 Dec 2018, 15:01 (Ref:3871429)   #3375
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Which if the options i mentioned needs a $50k engine? I genuinley dont know.
Someone tried to get me interested in sharing a Mustang a while ago and tried to convince me they were cheap to run as all the parts and tuning bits were available easily from the USA. But no idea whether that was FIA legal bits...
There you have the problem. Yes the Mustang bits are very reasonable, but a full house competition engine using a race block is very expensive. Not FIA legal but very popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
That said, a mate of mine with an FIA MGB engined TVR was told by his engine builder that all FIA MGB engines were actually 2 litres anyway!!!!!!!!!
Yes the 1950cc version is very popular and you can build one for the same price as a legal engine 1853cc. There are often thoughts that many FIA MGBs are 1950cc but you generally only see them at the Spa 6hrs or running in non FIA events. I'd be surprised if they get to 2 litres since even the factory tried and found the waterways too small. The MG Car Club ran a class of effectively 2 litre full race cars back in the 80s/90s. They soon learned how unreliable they were and changed to a "soft Tuned" V8.

So, if you can cheat an MGB engine for the same cost as a FIA engine then it represents better value that spending an arm and a leg on a Mustang engine. Ergo the MGB is better value.