View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3937381)   #81
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Based upon the article, it seemed well reasoned. What I found interesting however is that a crash that was contained inside the safety barriers could have broken the cable used by the Marshall station.

The initial impact by Bottas was VERY close to the pole that the light bar was mounted. Did that impact somehow move the wall enough to damage stuff right behind it? Was it something else such as the TecPro movement somehow associated with the cable path?

I am not trying to be overly critical, but it should be an opportunity to learn and improve. I would say that a safety system that is to be used AFTER an accident shouldn't be so susceptible to a relatively constrained accident.

Richard
The lightbox was mounted about 6-10 feet down the road from where Bottas made impact, but long before the TecPro installation. The lightbox comes out and hangs over the track, suspended by a metal pole. Although the pole is probably hollow, I suspect the cable that feeds power the box is cable tied to the outside of the pole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edt14xkMC7w

5:45 there's an external view of Bottas hitting the wall. The lightbox is right in the middle of the debris field that Bottas car throws up.

I guess it's one of those extremely rare things.