View Single Post
Old 28 Oct 2019, 20:29 (Ref:3937389)   #84
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Armco barrier is designed to move when it's hit. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a connector separated or a reel got moved by the barrier itself, if the debris didn't simply trash the panel or connectors on it.
Thanks for the informed commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of kilometres of cable for the panels, cameras, microphones, telemetry, comms, GPS etc etc run behind the barriers because moving it even a few feet back to behind the debris fence will make the cable distances vastly greater.
Ha! I hate to post this as it is a simplistic analogy, but there is a counter intuitive answer to this. In that it probably wouldn't add that much to move it back. The first time I ran across this puzzle it blew my mind. And had to do the math to convince myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_girdling_Earth

However, in reality moving back a bit would add more length than the string girdling the earth problem would suggest as there remains extra distance for items that run up to the barrier.

Richard