Thread: Historic Racing
View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2006, 10:30 (Ref:1505816)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember watching what was listed as a 'historic single seater' race at Snetterton in 1969. Neil Corner won if I remember correctly in a 250F and I also remember a Lotus 16. What I do distinctly remember about it was Morley's 24 litre Bentley being started on the grid. The mechanic had a sack barrow full of batteries which they plugged in to get her going. It started from the back and was up to 2nd by the hairpin, but then came the time to use the brakes which put the old girl back down the order again!
The 250F for example was only 12 years old or so at the time, they were considered historic then so no worries on the Capri Peter! So would a 1993 Damon Hill Williams or whatever be deemed historic now?
Perhaps the term Historic racing should be renamed by all clubs and associations as 'Historic and Classic' Racing. Afterall, two of the biggest historic (and classic) meetings now are called the Silverstone and the Le Mans Classics.