View Single Post
Old 5 Jul 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2244736)   #145
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
Most recent example: The 320d with the works drivers was a diesel engined version of the S2000 car, wasn't it? Other than that, there were some BMWs and I believe a couple of Alfas too a few years ago. I don't think reliability is the reason we don't see many, though. I remember reading that an S2000 car simply costs more to run and buy than something built exclusively for the Nordschleife regs.
Its not the reliability that is the issue, but rather as you said, the runningcosts are too high and shouldnt need to be for this kind of cars. The runningcosts are primarily rebuild of engines and drivetrain that are too expensive and too finely tuned, and I also belive the fwd cars are much harder on the drivetrains (they should be). And to be honest the reliability is not good on the S2000 cars anyway, driveshafts snaps easily (has happend a few times in STCC this year) and the front suspension mountings broke on the Chevy at Mantorp in qualifying without hitting anything, that just shouldnt happend on a racecar. The thing is, with S2000 they are not allowed to change a few key parts (have to be just as on the roadcar), which makes them weak, and needs a lot of rebuilds, instead of having as BTC-Touring regs had, they instead had drawn out exactly how the front wheelhubs had to look like (for example) and therefor they got more robust and designed for racing, and the teams wherent allowed to finetune them anything and couldnt spend any money on developing them.
And also, on the 24h of the Ring you dont drive flatout, far from it, at the Bathurst 1000 in the ST days they really did drive flatout through the whole race, and without detuning the engines even.

Last edited by PorscheFanNo1; 5 Jul 2008 at 19:24.