View Single Post
Old 25 Mar 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4042960)   #1955
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Schumi may have had it easy,

Do you genuinely think that in going to Ferrari, Schumacher had it easy?

It took years to turn the team into the dominant force they became.
The team he joined were languishing behind Williams and Benetton on the track, and were insistent on pursuing the V12 route in the face of Renault's V10.

He could have gone to Williams, or even McLaren, and been more certain of titles - but he went to a team that needed work. He was risking his career in taking the Ferrari seat.
It could be argued that the decline at Benetton after his departure showed how good he was - a point that must surely have contributed to Brawn and Byrne moving towards the Red?

Then came the package of Hakkinen, Newey and the MP4-13 - which coupled to his own leg injury meant that he did not have the support of the Tifosi at the end of 1999. Clinching the title in the last round of 2000 was probably the minimum required for Todt, Schumacher, Brawn and Byrne to save their collective careers. Anything other than the title in 2000 would likely have seen at least two of those four departing Maranello - as di Montezemolo is reported to have wanted.

Even once the run of titles was started - the field was not devoid of competition.Williams with BMW V10 power, driven by JPM and his own brother were quick enough to trouble the Ferrari and the points system of 2003 almost saw Raikkonen's sole victory for McLaren enough to take a title.

It is a discredit to look back and think that because Schumacher's record was so good, he must have had it easy. As is true in many sports - the greatest are those that make it look easy.

That must surely be the plan for Williams - instead of making it look hard, make it look easy?

(I think I referred to Williams enough to keep the thread on topic??)