View Single Post
Old 18 Jun 2021, 12:18 (Ref:4056981)   #154
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I thought that the RWD cars are boost limited up to (something like) 60 MPH in a bid to negate their traction advantage from a standing start?
TOCA supremo Alan Gow explained: "In 2015 we introduced a means of reducing the discrepancy between FWD and RWD starts, given that RWD cars are inherently faster off the line than FWD.

"This involved all RWD cars using a different first gear and reduced power of approximately 6.5% from 0-78mph during the start phase.

"Calculations based on data from the first four events this season [2020] has proven that this should be revised.

"From Thruxton this weekend [Sep 2020] there is no change to the first-gear ratio, but a further reduction of 5% [so now 11.5% reduction] of the power available up to 78mph during the race-start phase.

"For clarity this reduction is only during the 0-78mph start sequence, after which there is no other change to the engine power levels at any time during the race regardless of the car speed.

"The methodology, calculations and validation were carried out by TOCA's independent engine consultant Clive Dopson and Cosworth Electronics."

And then in October 2020:

"last month's tweak, brought in for the Thruxton round and carried forward to Silverstone, under which the rear-wheel-drive BMWs and Infinitis had their boost restricted by 11.5% up to 125km/h [78mph] away from the startline.

This was almost double the previous figure of 6.5% up to 125km/h.

Now TOCA has decided to keep the figure at 11.5%, but has lowered the speed to 110km/h [68mph], after complaints from rear-wheel-drive teams that it was slowing their cars down too much in the second phase of starts."