View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2020, 01:56 (Ref:3949312)   #35
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to preface what follows with this, I am a motor racing enthusiast, I am not a fan of manufacturer or driver but I love watching racing at any level and watch talented drivers work at their craft. I had a mate when we were racing karts that was one of those people, other competitors used to line up at the fence to watch him race and in one event many years ago where professionals and a few amateurs were put in the same karts some of the professionals asked him to to go into cars because he beat them. In short I have no allegiance to any team or driver.

Parity...it was supposed to level the field and allow less than the very good to actually have a chance of winning of at least mixing in with the rest of the field and everyone knows it does not work as intended no matter what is done. I admire the principal but in over 50 years of racing I have never seen it work as intended and I would love to BTW. I just hate the way it does not work and not the principal itself because it would be awesome to see that kind of racing, let the talent rise etc and the amount of money become less important, the engineering capability of teams funded by money is the hurdle to that dream.

If a "roller skate" was used with a specified body it would go a long way to solving the issue IMHO and would take away a lot of engineering need and funding from the teams and this is what separates the men from the boys in the end and why teams are not equal. Teams with less funds could buy a used chassis ans still be up there in performance, the motor and drive line would be part of the chassis as supplied. My view is if you want parity then do it properly other wise get out of the way and let the teams develop and engineer the cars within outline regulations which includes unlimited motor and chassis development and see who can build the fastest car and not necessarily with the fastest driver though both tend to gravitate to each other.

At the moment as with most parity racing this is not the case, there is an incremental engineering war going on that is hugely expensive and putting a new front end in the cars won't change or solve the problem of equalising the performance of cars across the grid, in fact the change initially will cost a lot of money for next year.

If we are going to have parity let's do it properly from the chassis up and fiddle around at the edges. I can hear the cries of NO from here and very few of those will come from anyone who has actually been a competitor.