View Single Post
Old 17 Mar 2021, 16:28 (Ref:4041068)   #72
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
the notion of just judging /comparing drivers by only their best season is an interesting proposition though.

puts a new spin on the usual GOAT conversation. perhaps worthy of its on poll/bracket style tournament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I can hear crm groaning at that suggestion from here!
It's something that can be held for future consideration - the GSOAT (Greatest Season of All Time)?

Would drivers get more than one entry though - Hamilton for instance:

Talk about laying down a marker. Make no mistake about it, rookie years in F1 are difficult, but someone forgot to tell Hamilton that. Kicking off an F1 career with 9 straight podiums isn't too shabby and he claimed a total of 4 wins throughout the year. In all honesty, he should have won the championship too, but he had a nightmare finish to the season and was pipped by Kimi Raikkonen.

Whilst this record has since been taken away from him, Hamilton became the youngest ever world champion in 2008 and he did so in dramatic fashion. The season itself was a little patchier from Hamilton, but he claimed the title on the final lap of the final race.

After watching Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull dominate for years, Hamilton ended his championship drought in 2014. He took 11 wins in the season (which is the most he's got in one season) and beat his teammate Nico Rosberg by 67 points.

Hamilton claimed title number 3 in 2015 and did so with time to spare, victory in the US gave him the title with three races to go. Perhaps the most impressive thing about this season was his consistency as he finished on the podium in all but two races.

Mercedes' dominance in the sport was seriously tested in 2017 with Ferrari much improved, but a good run of form (and an unreliable Ferrari team) after the summer break meant that the 4th world championship became inevitable.

It's a huge bracket - start with each driver's list of best seasons and run a poll to determine which season goes into the main poll!!!!