View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2018, 16:21 (Ref:3793343)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Cars that were too clever for their own good....

To explain that title, I read in several places recently that the BMW i3 is unlikely to be directly replaced at the end of it's model 'cycle'. Possibly the i8 also. Ignoring the fact that the former is a BEV or range extender EV, it's a very advanced car regardless, with carbon fibre 'life cell' (body), aluminium and magnesium underpinnings, a high proportion of recycled materials with futuristic design for the interior, and extremely high build quality. Both it and the i8 are assembled in a 'carbon neutral' facility, and the CF for the bodies is produced by the same company that produces it for Boeing and others, their factory being hydro-electric powered.

So why is it unlikely to be replaced with anything so clever. Must be cost? My guess is that BMW will produce a single platform that can be used for Electric, Hybrid or ICE power, and that will appear under a range of more conventional (build and looks) cars. Higher volume and lower cost....

That got me thinking about other cars that were advanced for their time but never replaced at the end of their model cycle. Audi A2 anyone? (Not the current thing!) I drove one in period, and it was so good in many ways, which is why a pristine used one is very saleable now. It pioneered the use of a full aluminium monocoque in a small mass produced car, but apparently was extremely expensive to produce. That made it relatively costly to buy and not a good profit maker (if at all). No doubt it's non conventional looks lost a few sales as well, and perhaps that is working against the i3 also....

There must be other cars that never succeeded, despite their credentials, or never 'caught on' with the buying public.......?