View Single Post
Old 24 Aug 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3845798)   #4
Lambrini13
Rookie

Lambrini13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking on and off for quite a while.

Yes, the premise was very much as grasped. Only today's drivers, but in the F1 world of 1989. A bit of a fudge obviously as Prost, Piquet, Senna have all suddenly disappeared and you wouldn't really want current drivers applying knowledge of what was to come (Renault engines and William's dominance) to which drives they pursue.

I picked '89, partly because I love the cars and liveries of that period, but also because of the large grid and due to next season being the 30th anniversary.

Once I had the idea, it got me thinking about which drivers 'best fit' certain teams or if team owners pursue different qualities in their drivers.

Basically it's a bit of a silly season thing taken to the extreme.

" Falvio take over Benetton though? if he was in charge in 89, i would suggest that Alonso would have been driving that car."

Intriguing. Why so?

At the moment, I've got Alonso and Ricciardo pencilled at McLaren, Hamilton at Williams, the present Ferrari pair in situe. Perhaps Lance Stroll buying his way into Lotus (a fading marque) rather than Williams...

Would perhaps any of the current Indycar or Formula E crop be F1 calibre in this alternative 89.