View Single Post
Old 27 Jul 2020, 13:20 (Ref:3991030)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I first saw the thread title, my initial thought was that the answer is obvious - just look at the tables.

Then, reading the post, I can see the question is more along the lines of 'which influences the outcome of F1 more, the driver or car?'.

However - I think the answer still lies in the tables, but with a more subtle analysis.

One way to look at it - average the points of both drivers in a team:
Mercedes - 60.5
RBR - 27.5
McLaren - 20.5
Racing Point - 20
Ferrari - 13.5
Renault - 6
Alphatauri - 3.5
Alfa Romeo - 1
Haas - 0.5

In isolation, it is clear that the Mercedes is winning F1 - underlined by the fact that the drivers are occupying the top two slots comfortable ahead of the field. Which leaves the question of the drivers' contribution. That is highlighted by the share of points within a team.

How much is the lead driver bettering their car's average:

Verstappen - 5.5
Norris - 5.5
Leclerc - 4.5
Gasly - 2.5
Hamilton - 2.5
Perez - 2.0
Ricciardo - 2.0
Giovinazzi - 1.0
Magnussen - 0.5

It's only an interpretation of the results, but in terms of the original question:

The Mercedes-Benz is winning F1.
Albon, Sainz and Vettel are losing F1.