View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2018, 08:10 (Ref:3835821)   #28
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's good to hear Chunder's experiences as a first time visitor as certain things we regulars take for granted.

There were certainly less food and drink stands than the 24hrs, but there's a much smaller crowd. There's also more 'empty space' behind the stands (and some of the temporary stands had been dismantled) which might give the impression of it being dirty and dusty.

Perhaps Chunder was being too optimistic in his expectations of getting around the circuit (or getting access to the non-permanent sections of track). And, even us 24hrs Regular have bemoaned the gentrification of the trackside experience.

I'm not sure how he needed 6 tickets - I assume he bought separate tickets for Arnage/Mulsanne which I would have expected the General Entrance ticket would have covered? (and it seems he was trying to park in the main car park in addition to having a camping ticket?)

I felt the Classic event was delightfully quiet compared to the 24hrs, plenty of space to walk around - Friday evening was almost a ghost town (perhaps because France were playing football).

The weather was an issue, luckily we could find shade in the grandstand.

I believe I saw WhiteMR2's NSX on display (there can't be many with Dutch plates).

We camped on Maison Blanche and that certainly had a poorer toilet to camper ratio than our usual Epinettes site. Perfectly clean though. (Plus I have access to the toilets in the ACO stand, so don't have to make use of more public conveniences trackside).

I'd agree about programme sellers, there didn't seem to be anywhere obviously selling them. Luckily I had downloaded the timetable to my phone.

As GT6 said, missing out the paddocks is perhaps the biggest 'mistake', going around them in dark (when it was somewhat cooler) was a unique experience and worth the ticket price alone.

As was seeing the '97 Panoz again, the car that enthused me on my first trip to Le Mans.

Finally, there were huge numbers of classic cars travelling down, something you no longer seem to see at the 24hrs.