View Single Post
Old 12 Dec 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3869637)   #4103
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
My pernt was that the cars were fine with methanol then ethanol (forgot to mention they went from meth to eth). The switch to 85 thing was just a gimmick to please and have tree huggers associate with.
I have never run into your "plenty", tho' I'm sure "they're" out there somewhere. No spectators, I've met at any track care. I'm highly opinionated (can't you tell....) and, again, I could care less as long as they're ICEs.
To give a brief history, from 1996-2005 the IRL used pure methanol. In 2006, the IRL began to make the transition from methanol to ethanol, using a mixture of 90% methanol and 10% ethanol. This was primarily due to the late Paul Dana, who had brought the Ethanol Promotion and Information Council as sponsors, when he drove for Hemelgarn Racing, in 2005. When he moved to Rahal Letterman Racing, EPIC sponsorship went with him.

In 2007, the IRL switched to E100, advertising itself as the first competitive series to use renewable fuel. From 2012 season the Ethanol fuel blend was changed to E85, to match the mix used by road car engines.

Quote:
NaBUru38 was entirely correct. They didn't state that all cars made only one stop. Heck, even my example was the plan...but Gurney had to stop for tires more than once if I recall correctly.
NaBUru38 said: "In the early 1960s, cars would do just one pitstop, therefore they would carry many more gallons that the current 18."

To which I replied: "That's incorrect. For example in the 1963 Indy 500, race winner Parnelli Jones made 3 stops, on lap 62, lap 125 and lap 160."

Quote:
This discussion carries as much weight as my concern of fuel on board...don't you agree?
I'm not too sure what you mean by that, this isn't a competition to see whether one discussion carries more weight than another.