View Single Post
Old 2 May 2018, 06:55 (Ref:3818807)   #6
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I think that's unfair on him . But the attention devoted to his death is interesting and I think is down to several factors-

- we all love an underdog and I am sure , every time Senna's death is mentioned , there's a perverse delight in saying 'don't forget Ratzenberger '

- for many who watch F1 , that weekend was the first time they had been exposed to death on the racetrack and hence it made a huge impression on them .

For me, being older, I am afraid I became immune to getting upset a very long time ago. Of course I remember 7 April when Jim Clark was killed , and for that reason alone I remember Mike Spence , Ludovico Scarfiotti and Jo Schlesser who died on the 7th of successive months in 1968.

But as for the other drivers I admired, I'd have to google the month and sometimes even the year too, for such as Jo Siffert ,Peter Revson, Tony Brise, Tom Pryce , Roger Williamson , Ronnie Peterson, Ignazio Giunti , Helmut Koinigg, Mark Donohue and far too many more .And that's just the Grand Prix drivers.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls ....