Thread: IMSA DPi Discussion
View Single Post
Old 23 Jul 2017, 23:44 (Ref:3753846)   #2781
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I expect FIA and IMSA will work together when they see some profit in it.

If FIA needs P1-L cars, it might cut a deal whereby DPis "without direct factory support" are allowed into the class. If it cannot entice enough GTE-A teams it might consider GT3 ... iff it seems like a profitable maneuver.

IMSA? IMSA will do what it feels it needs to make a profit too---FIA has clearly shown that it will sink any series except its own flagship. ALMS had a lot of troubles, but part of its troubles were trying to comport to FIA's ridiculous and oft-changing rules.

I think IMSA will bend its own rules whenever it wants, and Certainly where DPi is involved. It might handle GTLM with care, but it will do what it needs to to make DPi work.

The whole reason DPi exists is that IMSA realized it wouldn't make any money running ELMS rules. IMSA told FIA to do something else, and IMSA went and did what it needed to for its own benefit.

So, yeah, I have no reason to think IMSA won't make whatever deals, alterations, and adjustments are needed to get the Joest cars to the grid in a competitive form. Ultimately, DPi rules are Entirely IMSA's .... a DPi is whatever IMSA says it is. And I am pretty sure it wants Penske and Joest in the series in a bad, bad way.

Those two teams bring a huge amount of credibility to the series and a pretty good charge of enthusiasm to the fan base.

Also, I am sure IMSA knows that another two seasons of The Cadillac Show, and it will have another Rolex Series on its hands ... without the bottomless NASCAR bank account to prop it up.

IMSA needs a couple strong and stable DPi teams. EMS is trying, but really, what success have they had since their inception? ( I mean, since Highcroft went away and Ed Brown backed Scott Sharp back in what 2012 or 2013?)

I'd say IMSA will do what it needs to keep Penske and Joest feeling that they are playing a fair game--even if IMSA has to rig the game a little bit to get things started.