View Single Post
Old 4 Apr 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1570569)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Glyn, love those pics - god I miss those days!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
What about thte TWR built Marlboro car from the French Championship. Schlesser drive one in 84 - what regs was this built to? It had the deep airdam before the Bastos cars did. but apart from the airdam the Marlboro car didnt look anythng other than Group A. Can anybody clarify?
That car was prep'd to France's supertourisme or super production rules (bit like Grp 2 i'd guess.) It did have that fron dam/spoiler and you're possibly onto something concerning it's later appearance on the Grp A cars (perhaps that's why TWR got it homologated for the '86 cars and there was some hullabaloo about that as well at the time!).
I'm pretty sure TWR ran a Dayglo/White Grp A spec car in France too as the French National saloon series changed over to Grp A Regs in 1986 I think? . Certainly one appeared in Britain in '87 briefly (see earlier post re Bill Griffin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH
There was a third Rover in Australia as well. British Production Saloon Car entry for Barry Robinson/John Jefferey in the 1985 Bathurst race.
Curious about those two Belgian Spa '88-entries. Blue as main color, but not painted/decorated to the same scheme (I have only seen these cars during Eurosport TV reports)
Best regards
Jesper
I also think it was a Rouse built prodsaloon - remember seeing it passed on conrod on the BBC Grandstand coverage!

Wondering what shade of blue the '88 Spa cars were that you mention. If they were light blue - could be ex Sanyo or Fleet cars from TWR's BTCC/ETC efforts of '84?
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
The Dennis Leech car belonged to Martin Thomas, who also ran a Gp.1 car.
Regarding the issue of Tom "showing the MSA what they were missng" - you mean bent engines? (Volvo rockers with BL logos, over-sized engines, etc...)

Back to Martin Thomas, he still has a Rover hidden away in his barns. His cars ran in "Letchworth Roofing" colours, and occaisionally got in front of works TWR entries, much to the disgust of Mr Tom.

I will make enquiries on the Thomas Rover(s) and report back.

Rob.
Well Rob, I know what you mean but might be better to be bit less direct! (What about the 'Australian spec' Vitesses or something like that that were homologated?!....allegedly....) I was actually referring to the fact that Tom was always bitter about his cars being thrown out and at a time that the series was lacking depth probably used the opportunity to remind the organisers that they were msssing a couple of decent top class entries - either that or a significant gesture of the 'take that' variety.

Was Dennis Leech's car the same from Grp 1 through to Grp A then? Interesting if it was - but ceertainly the one he pioneered quite well for a time in '88 seemed to be much more developed than his earlier Grp A car - it must have been to get near the Cossies and M3's?

The Letchworth livery must have been the one that Skid Scarborugh campaigned in '87. Certainly will be interesting to discover which car Martin Thomas still has tucked away - I suspect it'll be a late Grp A spec car?