Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 7 Dec 2018, 21:35 (Ref:3868641)   #3354
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Does anyone know if the software used for CAD and CFD is off the shelf or bespoke?
You are not asking me. And I want to hear the thoughts from others. But I suspect the answer is "both". There are inexpensive (or open source) solutions, but also serious solutions to are used for multiple purposes/industries (aerospace, etc.) and not just for "air" but other fluids (like pump design). Anyhow, those should be viewed more like Microsoft Word or Excel. In that they are tools or a framework for whatever you create. I expect each team has plenty of bespoke "stuff" that ties into off the shelf CFD frameworks/tooling. I doubt anyone is implementing a fully bespoke solution given they would be replicating features already available (cheaper) in off the shelf solutions. But that also means that given these are "generic" there is no "F1 aero design" software that you can just buy.

Richard