View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2019, 04:31 (Ref:3873742)   #6250
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The richness that I love about sports cars is the diversity over the years. Group 5, Group 6, Group C, GT1 and the various LMP's. Lot's of different looks and ideas up the front.

But I think the other side of that coin is the lack of continuity. It's been called the WSCC, WEC, WSCC, nothing, ILMC, back to WEC, plus C'ship of Makes, GT1 WC and those GT championships that have carried on the cause.

Some real equity for example has been built up in the name LMP1 over the last decade. Yet all that name recognition is going to be discontinued and replaced with Hypercar(or whatever it ultimately gets assigned). From a branding point of view that's seems a poor choice to me.

LMP1 has had Audi, Porsche, Peugeot Toyota etc invested a lot of money in winning under that category name, I think it's a waste to retire it. In building a viable World Championship I"d think they need all the continuity and brand recognition they can get.