View Single Post
Old 22 Dec 2015, 12:44 (Ref:3599423)   #10
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All Too Often.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
It's very easy to exceed the recommended torque of a wheel nut/bolt even when just "buzzing" them up. For years I always use the settings on Autodata for every car that I service. I would like a pound for the amount of cars that I have to work on that even my 3/4 gun won't undo and have to resort to a bar with a 3ft piece of pipe !
Most of the "quickfit " type of emporiums are guilty of ruining wheels/nuts/studs/bolts by just leaving the gun to do it's worse, in the case of steel wheels I have seen them tightened so much that the tapered part of the nut is bottoming out on the hub and ruined the wheel.
In most cases wheels are always tightened too much making the supplied wheel brace as useless as a chocolate fireguard !!!!
One reason emergency "Break Down" services are called out, is to remove a flat and fit spare because the car owner simply cannot undo the wheel nuts post the tender care of the average tyre shop!

Know I know and sort of trust, the guy I take our road cars to for tyres etc. However, when he has fitted the wheels, I remove them and refit with the aid of my trusty old Britool torque wrench. Which I re-calibrate every so often using a very accurate spring balance!