View Single Post
Old 24 Dec 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3599992)   #16
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the risk of being shot down in flames here, I tend to agree with djr81 on this.

If using a torque wrench on your wheel nuts makes you feel better and more secure, then that's fine, nothing wrong with it, but personally I don't really think it's necessary. I've spent my working life in the classic car business, and I've never torqued a wheel-nut in my life. Nor have I ever had one come loose on me or break a stud, and I've never seen (or been told of) any evidence of damage to a wheel caused by my not torquing it up correctly. This includes over 20 years (on & off) of competing in rallying and racing. I just use my experience to tell me when a wheel-nut is tight enough.

I have, however, had wheels come loose on me whilst driving - but never on a wheel that I fitted!

If you think about it, just about every nut & bolt on a car has a specified torque setting, but I'll wager that most of those who routinely use a torque wrench on their wheel-nuts don't also do same on every other nut & bolt on their cars.