View Single Post
Old 26 Dec 2015, 00:42 (Ref:3600213)   #23
RED21
Rookie

RED21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Yes after 53 years in the motor trade I can tighten a wheel nut up without a torque wrench perfectly well, the problem arises in this sue culture age where if it's your livelihood you can't second guess on anything ! fair enough if it's your own vehicle.
Only last week a mate of mine got saddled with a 5k bill after a young mechanic (that was working for him) overfilled a Golf turbo diesel with engine oil that wrecked the engine when the customer was 10 miles up the road.
I can only say for my self and where I work, that I pre torque wheel bolts then a final torque all per manufacturer specified process that I work for and then written on the service/job sheet so it is all traceable. If there any major work done like a sub frame drop or suspension work done the appropriate page of the repair manual is printed off with the fixing torque settings shown again for traceability to try and prevent any issues with a claim of negligence.
Like some here I have seen some way over tightened bolts & loose fixings resulting in some serious damage to the vehicle, but I have also been on the receiving end of loose fixings which I wouldn't want on any one so I take all possible care with critical areas of any job (& non critical)
Part of our work process is calibration of all torque wrenches every six months to maintain standards.
Yet I will admit on some fixings like a hose position bracket it will be done up by hand as the torque setting will be very low 6Nm on a M8 bolt and you do get a feel as to when to stop turning the spanner.