View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3836657)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Well, it's not that simple, is it? You could remove the current engines and put a V12 in there of the same power, achieving approximately the same speed, but at a much-reduced cost.

If you want to go faster within a set of regulations it'll cost more. But when you're talking about things like differing engine sets you're comparing different regulations, and you can most certainly build a regulation set that'll allow you to go quicker for less money.
Bingo!

But of course it is a much more complex discussion. Watching CRM's video the narrator makes the point that turbines are not efficient when they need to accelerate and decelerate. They are super efficient when running at their most effective and economic speed, which is constant. I believe this was the basis of the Williams technology some years ago where they proposed a constantly spinning gyro to cut in and out at times when power was needed.

So in pure racing terms, if we want more competitors we need to reduce the costs and still provide an exciting spectacle. Thus as Akropovic says a different rule set is required. And since, if I am correct, in terms of fuel burn the usage, my idea would be just as green.

I know there must be many arguments to this but indulge me I'm enjoying this.

Edit: I forgot to mention this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Remember, in a NA car, all energy is going one way - from the energy store into kinetic energy. Whenever the car is not applying power to the wheels, there is no energy going anywhere else other than to waste.
And this is why personally I find the hybrid or any other alternative power source fascinating, but not for racing.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 14 Jul 2018 at 15:52.