View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2020, 16:15 (Ref:3967560)   #678
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I saw a university professor make that very point on TV last week, he said if a government choosing the 'lockdown' is a hard decision, ending it is harder because you will always be nervous of the risk of it starting up again and all the public cooperation and huge government investment in supporting the economy risks being wasted.

Interestingly, population apparently getting restless in Italy as some start to run out of food and money and the public see no real improvement in the situation despite the lockdown.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s a tricky situation if a lockdown isn’t making much difference, people will start thinking what’s the point. That must be how they are feeling in Italy, especially if they are eager to get out again. Hopefully though it will be more effective here, so we can get back to normal in good time
I'm gonna go on a little rant here....

We have a country with nationalized healthcare having the highest death rate of them all, who's leaders enacted a complete lockdown that doesn't seem to be having much of a positive effect. These same leaders are now going to be afraid to "give back" their people's personal freedoms for fear of another outbreak.

Here, trump was called racist and xenophobic when he enacts a travel ban with china. Then New York politicians were encouraging everyone to get out and celebrate the lunar new year. Then the governor of New York blasts the president for not providing him the stuff he needs, but then gets stuff and it's stored because it isn't needed yet. The president tries to let states handle it, gets slammed for not having a nationalized response, not doing enough (despite previously being called a racist for doing stuff and other politicians encouraging people in high density areas to get out and mingle). Mentions a lockdown of hotspot states, like New York, and here comes the governor again to say that would be tantamount to a federal act of war.

But give these government officials the power over all of our movements, by all means. I'm sure they'll all give them right back when this is all over. Oh, wait. Can't be sure or too careful, because we don't want another outbreak. So maybe we keep things locked down a little longer....

We have rhode island governor saying they will stop cars and knock on doors to track down any new Yorker who has come that way and force quarantine them. First they came for the new yorkers, and I said nothing.....

I don't even know what my point is, because I get the necessity of keeping separated and not spreading this, but I have a real problem with federal governments everywhere telling everyone that they can't leave their houses without permission. I don't trust they will give it all back. Or, when my state went into this lockdown, the governor telling us that she knows this is scary and we are feeling a loss of control (which is now in your hands, is the unspoken part of that). She said to focus on what we can control. That's straight out of totalitarian politics speech.

Sorry, not meaning to get political, as I don't see a right or wrong on either side, because I don't think there's a right answer here. It is just total insanity all around. I'll also give my governor credit for waiting way longer than neighboring governors before locking down the state, despite a much higher case total at the time.

Beyond just f1 or motorsport, I hope we all are "allowed" our previous and rightful freedoms back at the end of all this. I fear we won't, because this is showing governments everywhere how to control the population over something only affecting small snippet of the population as a whole.

Yuck. Delete this if needed. This is not in approval or disapproval of how anyone has handled this. It isn't something that can be handled correctly. Also, I'm annoyed today, because my 91 year old grandmom is with her daughter in a part of the country that had a lot of ignorant (not all stupid, just ignorant) spring breakers hanging around near by, and my 66 year old aunt who recently went through cancer treatment (underlying conditions) can't seem to stay at home or even fully keep her 91 year old mom at home right now, potentially giving them both more exposure than is necessary. Sorry to all who read this, I guess, just frustrated.