View Single Post
Old 25 Jul 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1664522)   #31
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting - my initial enquiries led me to believe that I needed a Race licence to test... I shall enquire further.

We didn't gear it yet as we had very little idea of the performance of the car - without being able to judge top speed or corner speeds then it's impossible to gear the car accurately. In time this is something we will learn to do.

We intend to spend days setting the car up. If we don't know something we'll find it out. If we have to repair or improve something then we intend to do it properly. We are not total novices with cars, and so the basic stuff should be easily achievable.

We will have to investigate tyres a bit further, as it's hard to know what the best route is. We may have had the wrong tyres on Sunday, we may not have - I don't know. But we spent a very small amount of money and had a lot of fun doing it. As time passes and our experience and expectations grow we will of course do it a bit more professionally - ensuring tyres are of the right compound, and have not 'gone off'. For now we are after the cheapest way of seeing what an F3 car is like - it won't be long before we are prepared to spend money/time sorting the car and travelling to far away events.

We have no data, but we also have almost no expectations - none of us have driven anything like this before, and we might have decided that it wasn't for us. I'm aware that in the long term sprinting is not a cost effective series to drive in from a track time point of view, but it's entry requirements and commitment requirements are perfect for us at the moment. When we are a bit happier with the car, and understand the stuff we need to do or bring with us when driving it we can go to more proactive driving days - an ideal time for my brother, my father and I to learn about the car. So far it seems very easy and natural, but for all I know it might get harder.

I've added Mallory and Pembury to my list of tracks to investigate, and I'm going to enquire about Snetterton again - surely we must be able to drive there (as it's only 15 mins away).

I shall PM you now - even if we don't get the F3 Man to actually do the work, it will undoubtedly be a useful and knowledgable contact to have. And he may get us out of trouble when we do something silly. Actually contacting him will be Martin's job, as he is the main financier of this 'project', but I'm sure I will pick his brains from time to time also.

Thanks again to all of you for your advice - it really is invaluable, interesting and positive.