View Single Post
Old 6 Jan 2019, 15:31 (Ref:3874292)   #252
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was a rather sweet spot for cars in the late 90s early 00s IMO.

Good performance available, decent engineering and bodywork quality and interior comfort that is enough for most needs. Late 00s started to get a bit too trick with engines and thus the cost of maintenance. And a lot if expensive gizmos in the electronics and what has morphed into the modern era 'entertainment' system.

My Saab will be 17 years registered in April and I will have owned it for 14.5 of those years.

All of the identifiable mechanical service bits that were looking rather aged have been replaced. It's about 9 or 10 years since it last had an exhaust but at the moment it is, I am told, good for a while yet. That despite rarely doing any usefully long runs.

I have if booked in for some preventative rust proofing treatment next month. It might not triple the value but should prevent any chance of early demise based on underside corrosion.

All I need now is a 'fashion' based LED colour programmable interior lighting 'mood' retro fit kit and, apparently, connection to Apple Play and the Android something and a reversing camera and my car will have all of the important things that are necessary for road travel in the modern era.

Personally I think that a drone, which could be sent for supplies when interred on a Motorway for a few hours while those who manage the roads deal with in 'incident', would be more useful but maybe the mood lighting would come into play at that point. And the music if i get bored with the CD selection.

On the other hand avoiding the delays by avoiding as many journeys as possible may be a more sensible approach ...