View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3680884)   #28
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It truly is a shame

I can remember reading 2 page F300 resports in MN and 4 page WRC reports where almost every stage was covered in some detail.

I don't think it is simply readers, it is publishers and editors too, design has come into magazines far more than it should have done and that style is being led by colleges, teachers etc.

I would buy a magazine for 3 quid a week that had 2 page F3 reports full of text and 4 page WRC reports with 2 pics in.

Wouldn't you? So why has it changed? It cant just be the way people are, it is led by all sorts of things!!
Having worked on some media partnerships with some of the big publishing houses, for something like motor racing and for even a weekly publication a lot of serious fans (from an overall shrinking readership) already know the results, the talking points and reaction to a race weekend on Sunday evening after the race, so by the time a publication comes out on Wed/Thurs it is old news. This in turn has led them to become more feature based which in turn is not so 'time sensitive' when it goes out.

The same is happening with car mags, sites like Motor 1 (part of motorsport.com) cover new car news, tests everyday in a quick easy to digest format and carbuyer covers the cars with short video road tests so the viewers doesn't need to read 10 pages of a road test to get a veiw on a car.

I am an old dinosaur who likes to have a magazine or paper to read and I don't really want to squint at it on my tablet, but I do get pretty much all my news in this format, but I wouldn't want to read a full magazine like this yet.