Old 19 Aug 2010, 04:55 (Ref:2746929)   #678
SteveTracy
Rookie

United States
Canton, CT
SteveTracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown View Post
SCCA FB didn't allow the BDA/BDD so a 722 in FB would have run a Ford twin-cam. I'm still not sure whether Divisional and Regional SCCA FB in 1974 - the year the Canadian 'Pro' series moved to F/Atlantic - allowed BDAs.
The 722 definitely had a Ford based DOHC, it was a pretty simple motor in many ways, based on a Pinto block before extensive rework of its internals (1600 cc I think, cast iron block). The 74B he bought 1-2 years old, 1975-1976 so yes he was running the same BDA/BDD motor in that car for local races (was IMSA or maybe even Cascade Sports Car Club, not sure. However the lack of prep time and ability to follow the series (doing lots of FA events was out of the question) really made it hard to compete in the FA series overall, needed to be further South in SoCal or up in Canada for so many of the Western USA events. His comparable local competition were guys like Steve J. or Ron H., Steve did better in some of the SoCal events that I expected, and came up to Portland to run - they tangled once or twice and one memorable event left the 722 busted up on 3/4 corners and Steve's then Lola also out of commission - they were running 1-2 and somehow took each other out, interlocked wheels and launched both cars for the DNF. I had a front row seat for that, the 722 was remarkably free of damage considering it went airborne and ended up slammed into tires and armco.

If only he had given his 722 to his honorable best second son, life would be good!

Last edited by SteveTracy; 19 Aug 2010 at 05:00. Reason: added text