View Single Post
Old 28 Jan 2014, 01:06 (Ref:3360846)   #689
HayesCages
Rookie

United States
Sagle, ID
HayesCages should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got a little more history on this chassis from the current owner:

"....Chuck Willis said that Ron Dykes wrecked the original monocoque to come into the States. Now where they got the replacement chassis that I crumpled, I don't know. It may have come from Hawaii. I think it was Pete Halsmer who lined me up with Willis when I bought the BT29. Chuck of CRW was one of the top Formula Atlantic mechanics in his day, being a mechanic or manager or whatever in the FA championship series that was popular then....Keke Rosberg and Gilles Villeneuve were two of the participants along with Marty Loft from the NW plus Householder, Storr and Munro from the NW ran a few of the races west coast races. Pierre Phillips ran cars in that series. However, I think my car may have never ran in that series as most of the conversation I had with Chuck about it was California racing....or it was bought to run that series and didn't However, after I bought it, started racing it, only with the rotary, in 1981 until the embankment in Sept of 86. Raced it in CanAm starting July of '84 and the last race I finished was the CanAm race in St Louis in August of 86. So I am the only driver that drove the car in CanAm.

There was a reporter from Speed Sport News that had a big duffle bag with 4 or 5 three ring note books with every detail of every Can Am race ever run. He was the ultimate Can Am fan. Every time a former driver would show up, he'd corner them and review each notebook for details of each race he ran. He spent over a half hour with Lou Sell who I recall only ran the St Louis races during my years. He was in that fiery crash at Riverside years before. He walked around in shorts and his legs were badly scared except the back of his thighs where he was sitting on the seat during the fire. Not only did he question Lou, but also Lou's competitors in the races he ran. Lou was the only winner in CanAm in a two litre car.

From the notebooks, he told me I was the only March 722 driver. He applied the original points system to all the races and on that basis, I was 200th in overall points tied with Joakim Bonnier.

Take a look: http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/St_Louis-1985-10-13.html

It rained hard 3/4ths of the race and the V8's against instruction blocked me in every corner. When the cars came up to lap, would tuck in behind and passed a bunch of cars that way. Then it stopped raining and and about a half dozen cars passed me back. I had some really old Firestone rain tires that showed remarkable traction in the wet. Had a wild pass on Mike Engstrand coming through a large puddle at near top speed.

I've been pulling up all the history I can on my career with this car."

He has told me that the serial number stamped on the roll bar is 46-200. SCCA region 46 is Hawaii. I'm thinking that he's looked the number funny and it's maybe a 96 which would be Oregon. Any thoughts anyone?

Lawrence