View Single Post
Old 3 Aug 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3757186)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
As you say the Group C cars are unique so I'm not surprised they get small grids. Another point made by Peter Baker was the timing for the race at the Classic. It ran late in the day and maybe the drivers/owners felt that they'd rather be relaxing at that time of the day. Hence fewer entries.

The Supertourers were always going to struggle due to the complexity of the cars. This was when touring cars moved from "showroom spec" to higher levels of technology. It must take some effort to run these cars compared to a Group A, Group 2 or Group 1 car. Perhaps Jason M can enlighten us?

Hence the mixed grid made up of the other categories. That said, I'm told the race was entertaining.
Being the last race of the day, there is always the risk of it being shortened (or even cancelled) due to the programme running late, so as you and other Peter say, not the most appealing schedule for Silverstone, and could have been a factor. I guess the organisers like the 'endurance cars into the dusk' idea..... However, at PA events, timing of the races isn't usually an issue, and the grids have shrunk.

I just wonder if the owners of such complex and expensive to run beasts want to race them at 7 or 8 events a year?

SuperTouring cars were reasonably cheap to buy a few years ago, when the idea of a race series for them was first mooted. But, as you say, very complex underneath and no doubt expensive to run competitively. So maybe buying the car was the easy bit, but finding funds to run one has proven more difficult?