View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2004, 01:21 (Ref:1167589)   #20
stuartcmorrison
Rookie

stuartcmorrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I did my first car track day on Sunday in my 4 week old & one & only road car. It's only a Civic Type R but it's the fastest car that I've owned & it's been a fun packed 4 weeks on the road. However, driving it at Donington was mind blowing & allowed me to push the car further than any road driving both from a legal & safety aspect.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love the fact that there is such a varied collection of vehicles in attendance but track days were originally born out of a desire by enthusiasts to experience track driving in their road going cars. If we all only used cars that we could afford to lose, the places would be full of 10-15 year old Fiestas & E30 BM’s & the majority of the day would be red-flagged in order to clear up the carnage & anyway, there’s already a class for that at Hednesford Hills Raceway.

I would estimate that there were 60-70 cars in attendance on Sunday & yes there were several incidents, mostly harmless spins due to the torrential rain in the morning. However there were a couple of note-worthy performances.

1. A Rover coupe, brought out the red flag in one session & the yellows in another, one car, 2 disruptions, I was gonna ask him for a refund!
2. White 325, yellow flags in one session for spinning at inside of coppice (how do you do that?). Next session, down the inside of me on Craner curves, down the inside of aforementioned Rover at Starkeys Bridge (both strict no-no’s at morning briefing) & when we get to Goddard’s the red flags are out again cos he spun into the barrier, all in one lap, plenty of ****** signs & more track time lost.

My advice is take your Imprezas, Supras & M3’s on the track cos it’s the only place where you can fully enjoy (read exploit) them, spot the problem cars early on (you can’t miss ‘em) & stay out of there way.