View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1900936)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 9 - Knights Batteries/JEC Powered by Jaguar

I think the sort of driving well captured by Andy's Dad is not restricted to Tin Tops. The nature of Russells means that it tends to attract this sort of incident regardless of the class of race. I noted nothing particularly untoward in the driving of the Tin Tops which was Race 7. The event was won by the Gannon/Gannon (optional 2 driver event with compulsory stop, of course) Honda Integra with Nick Reynolds in a similar car second and the MG ZR of Mellor and Addison 3rd. I thought Andy (Yeoman) and Nigel Edwards did well to take 15th in a fairly large field, (several of which were unclassified at the end) in the Uno, which is certainly old enough to qualify as historic.

Race 8 was for modern Porsches so I will just record the fact that the race was easily won by Rupert Lewin in his 996 GT2 R, a stunningly quick car in a straight line.

Now to Race 9, which was the Knight Batteries/JEC Powered by Jaguar Championship with 750MC Sports Racing & GT Challenge, a title that explains the rather extraordinary make up of the grid. There was a reasonable proportion of historic cars in the race although the many pretty Crossle 9S would be described as continuation cars, and the 3 quickest cars were 'Fake Snakes'; they were followed home by 3 of the Crossles. This is not a criticism; just a statement of fact, so apart from the first picture, the others 3 focus on the genuinely older cars in the race:-

Heading down toward the Bomb Hole, Nigel Edwards finds his mirrors full of the RAM Cobra of Mark Jordan who eventually got by. They finished 3rd and 4th:-

Late entrant, Myles Castaldini finished 18th in his Marcos GT:-

20th place went to the little Ginetta G12 from 1966, driven by David Stafford.
The G12 was the car to have in GT club racing in the mid 1960's until the Chevron B6/B8 came along:-

Last of the classified finishers was Norman Davidson in his 1961 E-type:-

That was the last race I witnessed, but it would be good if anyone would like to give us a brief run down of the following days events.

I will put up a few requests if anyone has any, and that includes the 2 'modern' races mentioned above. Yes, I did 'snap' some of them, too!

Last edited by John Turner; 26 Apr 2007 at 13:56.