View Single Post
Old 3 Jan 2006, 14:28 (Ref:1494153)   #12
MrLipid
Rookie

MrLipid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
Can i just ask a question? Having read the first post what are the patches? I'm reading it and it talks about patches for high res mirrors. But then it talks about reducing the traction and braking for the cars. The way i read it the increased resolution of the mirrors effected the cars performance! I assume thats not the case and the patch isnt just for the mirrors?

Sorry, i dont have the game so was reading it as a complete outsider.
Reasonable question.

Here's the story.

The patches began as an effort to make the car handling in SoS a bit less arcadish. The brakes were too efficient and the cars were too sticky. Once the braking efficiency and grip were reduced, the skidding audio became much too annoying and was also reduced.

This left a version of SoS that behaved more convincingly while remaining limited to a maximum resolution of 800x600. Editing the NotTheRegistry.txt made it possible to increase the main resolution, but not the mirror resolution. This meant the mirrors remained at a resolution of 800x600, leaving them hanging in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Once a way was found to place the mirrors properly at varying resolutions, it seemed reasonable to create an all-in-one patch that would modify handling and resolution.

Any questions?