View Single Post
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3287274)   #38
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Club racer View Post
You might also learn with a bit of research that Superkarts are on board with the NZRDL. This is one of the most underrated classes in the country and having raced in it for a while, I am absolutely positive that if the NZRDL can provide a permanent home for Superkarts, it will thrive. And don't forget - these things lap HD quicker than the SuperTourers.
Great post, Club Racer!!

Just for the sake of complete accuracy, I should point out that the Superkarts, whilst very fast, are still slightly slower than V8ST.

Based on their results at HD in February, the fastest kart over the meeting (practice, qually and races) did a 1:04.8. I believe that was a twin-cylinder 250cc kart. A week earlier, the ST's ran at HD and their best time (in qualifying) was a 1:03.27. In fact, such is the closeness of the ST field that all 19 cars were covered by just 1.3 seconds. As far as I know, both meetings were run in the dry as there was virtually no rain at HD between January and mid-March.

PS: I spoke with one of the kart guys at that meeting and he showed me his data logger. He was running a single-cylinder 250cc kart and managed 1:08 laps without exceeding 185km/h! That's 50-60km/h slower than a Supertourer and gives an indication of just how much speed they're able to maintain around the corners.

Last edited by Alpina107; 8 Aug 2013 at 11:14. Reason: spelling