View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3335712)   #19
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I played iRacing for a bit. I might still be playing if I hadn't had some major internet connection issues here - now resolved, but I haven't felt like re-activating my membership. I know some don't mind, and it was fun a lot of fun sometimes, but I am not thrilled by the prospect of more MX-5 and Street Stock races on the same 4 or 5 tracks. I'd have liked to try out the big touring car championship (the one that used the Kias, if I recall correctly?) - but it would have been an extra £100 of additional content just to have all the right stuff. This isn't the place for a debate about the iRacing pricing structure etc etc, but with Assetto Corsa I have already regularly used more of the available cars and tracks than I did with iRacing. Additionally, three new cars arrived yesterday (with a couple of extra tracks, too) at no extra cost.

I'll agree that iRacing is miles ahead of the competition when it comes to the organisation side - all the integrated leagues and points systems, hourly races, and so on are very slick and nicely done. I even liked the safety rating system, though it doesn't please everyone (and could do with some kind of magic 'whose-fault-was-it-really' code). It looked good and it felt good, but so do a lot of things.

Again, time will tell how AC does in terms of support and longevity, but for now I'm pretty happy with what it is and what it does, and for the price of a few months of iRacing (or £20 less than rFactor 2) I think it's a pretty good buy.

Edit - in terms of the update system, can't speak for rFactor but yesterday's AC content update happened automatically via Steam in the background, and I didn't notice until I went to start the game