View Single Post
Old 19 Mar 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3809087)   #45
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Daf 33? Quite good to drive but never really caught on.

Seamless acceleration (just like the i3) but drivers in those days were waiting for the automatic 'change' and revs dip.
I once drove a DAF! I needed a pool car for a business trip, but all the pool cars (mainly A60s, plus the odd Ford) were out, so I had to borrow a car from the test fleet, which had some very interesting cars, from an E-type down. . . I was given the Daffodil!

Seamless acceleration? Acceleration wasn't really part of its repertoire! Pressing hard on the accelerator produced an increase in noise from under the bonnet & an almost imperceptible increase in speed. Pulling out from a t-junction, even in a 30 limit, was something of an adventure.

To optimum engine braking you pulled out a knob on the dash - that raised the noise level to a cacophony.

Ah, the Daffodil; the only car I've ever driven that had me yearning for an A60!