Thread: 2018 TCR UK
View Single Post
Old 24 Aug 2017, 19:58 (Ref:3761419)   #163
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
with standalone events they will get just a few hundred spectators, like club racing.
It is club racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
I guess this is the crux of the matter. I've seen a few articles floating around today where people are suggesting that TCR UK will take the place of BTCC within five years. I'd be pretty surprised if this were to happen, I think at best BTCC may adopt TCR rules (or a derivative) but can't really see this happening either.
BTCC rules are fixed until 2022, so they certainly won't be adopting TCR within five years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I guess that partly depends on who your target audience is.
BTCC might generate the highest viewing figures, but a lot of the sponsors are not interested in the 'general public' market.

Duo, Norlin, TAG Industries, Simpson Exhausts, Hansford Sensors, Metclad etc. are not looking to sell to the typical ITV4 viewer, but more for the corporate association their brand has with racing. If they can get the same corporate benefit in another series, they'll be there in a heartbeat.
If they were only interested in B2B, they would already be sponsoring club racing.

They are not. They are not even going for the halfway house of club racing with a decent TV package (by which I mean the Clio Cup, Ginetta GT4 Supercup etc).

They sponsor the BTCC because of its profile, which they won't get with TCR, at least not in the short term.

Duo, for example, sponsor BTCC teams primarily to entertain clients in the hospitality. But are those clients going to be as interested in going to a championship they've never heard of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think what Gow fears is regulations getting away from his control, that happened with supertouring (after initally founding the regs - to a degree), the FIA got involved, lots of technical waivers and enhancements, series went under. I guess you could argue the same for S2000, although for that, it wasn't Gow's baby, his thing was BTC and he reluctantly adopted the S2000 regs, however the same thing happeend, costs spiraled (because they couldnt control them). At least with only the BTCC running NGTC, he and TOCA can control the regs, which I think is his fear and why he wants to keep the BTCC isolated and seperate from other series, so he can control it.
BTC wasn't Gow's. He'd gone before those regs came in, and he got rid of them pretty much immediately when he returned.