View Single Post
Old 26 Jul 2015, 15:48 (Ref:3561319)   #5
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has been rumoured a little recently, but it's still a bit of a surprise to hear it confirmed.

As well as the FIA F2 series being a factor in this decision, they've also said "marketing and commercial reasons" were behind it too – I think Renault's increased involvement in Formula E from next season is quite a big factor and maybe there will be a renewed push in F1 after the struggles of this season, so the money has to come from somewhere and FR3.5 is the casualty it seems?

I do like the proposals that have been mentioned - I think a potential €600,000 prize and 35 Superlicence points for the champion (plus €200,000 for top rookie) would be a great incentive for drivers to join the series. It's also interesting that they say the prize is aimed at "bridging the gap to a Formula 2 budget or to be spent on sportscars", given the increasing amount of single-seater drivers who've switched to WEC, ELMS etc. over the last five years or so.

And if the series is no longer part of the WSR, it'll be interesting to see what kind of future calendar comes out of it. I imagine a few more supports with ELMS, Blancpain Endurance/Sprint series rounds etc. will happen plus maybe a couple of standalone events too?

Will be extremely keen to find out details of the meeting that's planned for this Thursday.