View Single Post
Old 19 Nov 2007, 17:03 (Ref:2070988)   #8
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
...I have a vague memory that the senior engineer or designer responsible for either the original design, or re-engineering it mid-season may have come from a rallying background, but can't think where I've got that from?
IIRC the engineer's name was Alan Wilkinson (?) who I think had some connection with Ford Motorsport.
Also IIRC, initially the car ran a strange sort of combined gearbox/rear axle (transaxle) with a strangely numerically low final drive ratio. Something to do with reducing frictional losses due to the mechanical gearing reduction.
I also seem to remember that this was the component that usually failed! Other (more conventially engineered) Sierra's didn't have these problems.