View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3851725)   #44
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Was that in 1985 and the driver Bobby Rahal?

Yes. Mid 80s were scary times at MIS. In '84 Al Holbert ran into the back of Bob when Bob braked to avoid an accident in front. Al's car was fitted with "speedway" brakes, and they just weren't powerful enough to slow the car. Steve Horne had words with Johnny Capels (he and Horne were friends - on most days) about the brakes. We ran normal road course brakes everywhere. We had a hell of a time just getting that car into the trailer after the race. The most miserable racing weekend that I can remember for multiple reasons. The tub ended up in the dumpster. Sad day for me as it was my first Indy 500 car. Our Snap On dealer fished the tub out and took it home. Snap On dealers are smarter than race car mechanics.

Pretty sure '84 was the year that Chip and Al Jr. touched in the back stretch and tumbled endlessly, with Chip hitting the inside wall. Believe he raced again after that but the accident was pretty much the end of his driving.

As to 1985: I think we were at or very near the top of the lap times when the tire let go. I don't remember if it was "my" car or my team mate's car, just the sick feeling that resulted.

Back to the original point in the previous post: I don't know of anyone in motor racing that I respect more than Roger Penske. That said, hope to see Coyne, RLL, or SPM win the championship next year.