View Single Post
Old 14 Nov 2018, 00:25 (Ref:3863199)   #4038
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
While I understand your overall point, this statement is inaccurate...

http://www.espn.com/racing/indycar/s...-total-sellout

And here's a photo of the crowd filling the grounds.

https://fox59.com/2016/06/07/photo-s...00th-indy-500/
I can't argue what I see in the article but I remember claims of 400,000 in attendance back in the CART days so I still have to wonder. Have they lowered the seat count like Daytona or allowing less into the infield, making for easier "sellout", and again, for the all so special 100th? (Which I agree is special...that's a long time....Le Mans is closing in too....)
Also, and importantly, I hold not much credence in the article as a very major blunder concerns me....ABC's live coverage since 1965???

"With the event declared a total sellout, the local blackout on the live broadcast of the race will be lifted for the first time since ABC began live coverage in 1965.

Uh-uh. Not so. '66-69 I saw it live via closed circuit in RKO theatres. Before and after that it was days later on Wide World of Sports, followed by same day tape delay to prime time. It was the mid eighties ('85 or '86 I'm sure, as I was racing r/c cars on Sundays '82-84 and had no worries about missing it due to the delay) that it went live.

Edit: Found this:
"From 1986 through 2018, ABC televised the race live in its entirety. However, at the request of the Speedway, Indianapolis affiliate WRTV was required to blackout the live broadcast and carry it on tape delay in prime time to encourage local race attendance."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No point, just adding to what you said. Some people here on the IndyCar forum, may not know about the ramifications, that followed the Split.
You don't know me by now? I understand that as I do know you. 'T'was a rhetorical question....'just busting your ba**s.

btw, is "rammed" akin to our "crammed" or just a typo?

Last edited by jimclark; 14 Nov 2018 at 00:49.

jimclark