View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2021, 20:43 (Ref:4048164)   #49
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
I think a rallycross can be very simple, look at Valkenwaard, Maaslecheleon, Lydden. Loheac is so basic it almost looks dumb. |And I dont think its a great track at all actually compared to some past and present in France. But it gets huge crowds and works.

I can see their point in trying these things, but they were paying for the whole venue hire, that was never going to pay off now was it, and was monstrously dumb from the outset, good business by Silverstone though.
Good business? I'd call it a scheme if so since WRX and rallycross seems to be no more at the venue. A sum up of everything wrong with WRX under IMG I think.

IMG only went to Loheac because of the spectator numbers, the event hadn't been in ERC for several years when reintroduced in 2013. Valkenswaard is an actual track but that hairpin kills off all speed and quickly dismantles the racing. The cars line up into a literal queue where they wait for the car in front of them to make the turn. Utterly dreadful to watch.

Lydden and Maasmechelen are good, fantastic tracks in my opinion. It's hard to pass on Maasmechelen but that goes for plenty of rallycross tracks anyway. I also miss some of the Eastern situated tracks like Nyirad, Sosnova, Greinbach, Slomzcyn, although the latter one was reworked.