View Single Post
Old 14 Oct 2010, 22:33 (Ref:2775149)   #13
Andrewm
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Andrewm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ralph

That's my old car! I bought it from Terry Keys motorsport at Silverstone back in 2000 (ish) when it was red - I paid £2500 for it with a motor that had snapped it's timing chain. I put it back together and had it painted BMW black as I worked for a main dealer at the time. I did quite a few sprints and hillclimbs in it until I ran into wheel bearing problems.

If I remember right, the hubs were Fiat Panda with Fiesta CV joints which is why the wheels are Weller 8 spoke rather than the typical control wheel. This was about 2003/4 when I px'd the car with Kevin Bulley of Jester Motorsport for a VD RF85. I cringe now when I think I let him give me £1500 in px... He sold the car on to Dirk Illegems in Belgium who seemed to spend a lot on it - He did tell me my original set-up was spot on after a track day at Zolder. I always found it a bit twitchy!

The Frosts stickers were from competing at Brighton Speed Trials and the "Reaction" stickers are a little company I ran making caster/camber gauges! The chassis plate 007 was made by me - the car never had a chassis number but the RAC logbook insisted it had one and I understood there were 7 HD85s, so that was what I chose.

Iain and I used to compare notes as his car had round suspension tubes where this one has the original aero tubing. He moved onto an RF89 after having some success at Coombe with his. I know Shaun pretty well, so he and his father, Jeff helped me set it up. It was seriously quick in a straight line as the frontal area is so small, but talk about a tight fit!

I hope you still have it after seeing this thread is 3 years old! If you want any old pics etc, please email me at andrew.mathis@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers