View Single Post
Old 5 Jan 2008, 01:03 (Ref:2099641)   #57
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Champcar does have a revenue stream. Sanctioning fees. They get paid a set fee for each race. Recent info released shows that fee is as high as $2.9 million a race.

The irl has lower sanctioning fees which mostly get paid back in form of the prize fund to the teams. The quotes I've heard are around a $1 million a race and with a $1 million per race prize fund, it's easy to figure out.

It was revealed last year the irl races are time buys with the 500 getting a paid a fee by ABC. That fee just about covers the prize fund for the race.

Estimates from insiders speculate the irl has burned though about $300 million in it's existance. I'm not so sure their financial picture is all that good considering losses on F1 races, investment in moto gp, running Vision racing, etc. The fact that assets like Chicago speedway have been sold off for money, well.....

If one argues the irl is taking in boat loads of cash compared to champcar, i'd reckon their burn rate on cash is pretty steep. No one has ever been quoted as the irl actually making a significant profit. If you take in $50 mil but burn though $75 mil, regardless of the source you are still losing money.

If cash is coming from indy to support the irl, that technically is out of the "owners pocket".