View Single Post
Old 24 Jul 2010, 05:53 (Ref:2731585)   #3
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Well...

I said years ago that the ALMS could survive as a GT only series. Ratel has done it since the original FIA GT Championship imploded.

In any event, I think its an option that should be explored at. Its still cheaper to run a GT2 or GT3 car than almost any of the prototypes but maybe the LMPC cars.

I too am disappointed by long time ALMS competitors in LMP, they have either been ill-prepared, vastly underfunded or just unlucky (maybe all 3?).

But I think we can tolerate one more season of this and here's why -

Sebring 2011 LMP1 could possible be -
  • Highcroft-Wirth-HPD LMP1 (2 Cars)
  • Audi R15+ or Audi R18 (2 Cars)
  • Aston Martin Racing In-House Designed and Built Car (2)
  • *Penske-Porsche LMP1 (2 Cars)
  • Rebellion Racing Lola-HPD? (2 Cars, Marco Andretti)
  • Drayson Racing Lola-HPD? (2 Cars)
  • Muscle Milk-Cytosport ???? (likely LMP1)
  • Intersport Racing (1 Car Unknown)
  • Dyson Racing Lola-Sticking with Mazda? (continue with LMP2 spec car in LMP1?)

So 15 cars, post Sebring it could drop down to 9 cars, so +3 from 2010

We won't know who the season entries are until around Wheels Down in Feb. If it looks disappointing, then I would announce this sweeping change to ALMS. I think the factories in GT would welcome this change, it gives them exclusive air time. While we would have apart of the fan base moan and groan, I think as long as the factories want to build off the shelf race cars and are willing to sell them to others, we could have fields of 20+ in GT easily.

Doing nothing else and if the current rumor about Robertson is true and a second Jag were to finally appear that's 15 cars. If you change GTC to pure GT3, you could have another 10-12 cars. You could easily have 30-35 cars, even in this economy.

35 cars battling nose to tail. I think The Fields could be just as quick in a GT or GT3 car, especially if they use the FIA Driver Rating system I believe both would be rated Silver. You could loose Highcroft and Drayson to ILC anyway.

Muscle Milk is interesting because Pickett has plenty of money and went with the best used LMP2 car on the market. Does he have a desire to return to Le Mans?

I think Autocon is on the verge of calling it quits.