Thread: IMSA: 2020
View Single Post
Old 23 Jul 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3919030)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What contract did they sign with NBCSports? I'm guessing no stand alone IMSA streaming until at least that deal is up and it's still way too early for it for major sponsors. I think if they go streaming only we'll see every car have only B2B sponsors you've never heard of and a fight to keep an open paddock so those VIPs don't have to slum it with us fans. It's the future, ill-advised as it's actually a return to proto-cable but how soon we forget, but sportscar racing isn't the domain of the young fan. Its base is the older generations and like golf it's a tough sell, however, people do age into sportscars so you can't neglect growth. If they wanted to be smart IMSA needs to get their products on NBCSports Gold and allow streaming that way. Not a stand alone service to compete with NBCSports but still offers the same access, Indy has had reasonable success with it and adding both series to Gold would increase the value. But they haven't hosted live racing at this point.

I think we will see an LMP2 Sprint series rule set appear to match GTD Sprint, don't think it's going away after 1 season. Especially since they will talk up the McLaren entry as a test before the claimed full season run in 2020, now who is left who will foot the bill for the "racing ransom" is the big question there. Nissan already in and no one has taken the GTR option, Bentley doesn't seem like they have any interest if they aren't the top class, is there anyone left with a current GT3 spec car?

I think we'll see the usual PR speak of how great IMSA is and only small changes are needed if anything. Look how built up our grids are and how many builders we've signed.