View Single Post
Old 17 Feb 2020, 20:00 (Ref:3958060)   #85
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
V8 Supercar $550,000 AUD
Audi R8 LMS $720,000 AUD
Lamborghini Huracan GT3 $735,000 AUD
Honda NSX GT3 $750,000 AUD

That's hardly "twice as much as a Supercar".
"Twice as much" was maybe an exaggeration but those GT3 prices quoted aren't the highest I've heard - but then maybe the figures I've been quoted by people actually looking at buying one include freight and a spares package - both of which of course are needed to go racing here in Oz.

There is also the matter of the (seemingly annual) update kits for GT3 cars - whether they are twice or 1.5 times more expensive, they definitely are more expensive than current Supercars, and there's a general view in the sport that the current cars are too expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Whether it's a GT3 race car or not, a Ferrari, Porsche or McLaren is still a Ferrari, Porsche or McLaren. They hold their value rather well AFAIK.
Yes and no. If you continue to spend up on them, buying the annual update kits, then they hold reasonable value whilst still the current model. Once a new model comes out though, they're just an old, out of date race car - values tend to drop significantly on those, until they reach classic status in a few decades.

GT3 cars are definitely more expensive but to be fair, may cost less to run in some ways. To me the biggest hurdle for VASA in going that way is that the regulations for the cars come from overseas and thus VASA would no longer be able to control the technical side of their category. That's a big change of philosophy but who knows, it could happen.