View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2020, 18:17 (Ref:3958291)   #98
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
A rumbling V8 engine is old-fashioned in 2020. An anachronism from days gone by when environmental issues weren't so front and centre.
Most people wouldn't dare to drive a V8 that produces over 300 g CO2/km, especially in the UK the road taxes and fuel excise alone put a dampener on any ambitions one might have to drive a VXR Monaro everyday.

Is Supercars going to be a series engaged with the future, or a retro series popular with over 40s?

Even with the more lenient taxation in Australia, most people drive four cylinder downsize turbos or hybrids, be it a 1.2L Renault Clio or a 2.0L Mercedes C300. Many prestige car buyers are replacing their Mercedes C300 with an engine-less Tesla Model 3 for that matter.
I would not expel the currentfanbase and hope for new fans out of a people who are not interested in cars. I would continue with rumbling V8 but cheaper and without manufacturers money. At least for short term. The 40 plus viewers will not die the next 5-10 years. In the meantime you can still try to find a longterm solution, but I think overall motorracing is a dying breed.