View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2020, 20:10 (Ref:3958318)   #99
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Most people wouldn't dare to drive a V8 that produces over 300 g CO2/km, especially in the UK the road taxes and fuel excise alone put a dampener on any ambitions one might have to drive a VXR Monaro everyday.

Even with the more lenient taxation in Australia, most people drive four cylinder downsize turbos or hybrids, be it a 1.2L Renault Clio or a 2.0L Mercedes C300. Many prestige car buyers are replacing their Mercedes C300 with an engine-less Tesla Model 3 for that matter.
Supercars series is in Aus, not the UK - the road taxes etc in the UK don't come into it at all. Claim of "most people" in Australia driving 4 cyl downsize turbos or hybrids is wide of the mark. Whilst some parts of new car sales are heading that way, there are plenty of new cars sold here that don't fit that description and the total vehicle population here is roughly 22 times the size of the best retail sales year for new vehicles so recent trends for part of the market heading in the direction you describe do not translate to "most people".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggo View Post
I would not expel the currentfanbase and hope for new fans out of a people who are not interested in cars. I would continue with rumbling V8 but cheaper and without manufacturers money. At least for short term. The 40 plus viewers will not die the next 5-10 years. In the meantime you can still try to find a longterm solution, but I think overall motorracing is a dying breed.
Makes sense and scarily I suspect that there may be some truth to your final sentence.